Demonware creates and provides the online services behind hugely popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty and Skylanders. We do matchmaking, microtransactions, and data analytics for almost half a billion users. Demonware has offices in Dublin, Ireland; Vancouver, Canada; and Shanghai, China, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc.
About the team:
Demonware’s Titles Department is responsible for developing, launching and maintaining services for some of the world’s largest gaming franchises. We are looking for an experienced engineer to join this department to work on a new generation of AAA titles, leveraging many of the existing technologies created by DemonWare and developing new online services to support the future of the online gaming market.
Most of our services are developed using Python and C++. We also use many supporting technologies such as MySQL, Redis, Kafka, and Cassandra. Our development is geared towards low-latency and large-scale distributed systems that can handle millions of concurrently connected users with average response times of < 100 ms.
As well as building large scale systems, we expect our experienced engineers to be able to mentor and grow others in the organisation. So we are looking for someone who enjoys software engineering challenges and the opportunity to pass on that experience to others.
- Developing custom backend online services and features that are reliable and scale to be used by millions of players all around the world
- Own, operate and support the services and features you develop.
- Working as a partner to game studios, designing online and multiplayer player experiences
- Working with game studio engineers to troubleshoot problems with online and multiplayer features
- When necessary, travel to game studios to provide on-site design and integration support
- Providing technical mentorship to other team members through software engineering best practices
- Good understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle including, but not limited to, agile software development methodology (Scrum or Kanban)
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent program
- Excellent Python skills, or skills in a similar language
- Experience with SQL and database design, specifically MySQL
- Understanding of networking technologies, e.g. TCP, UDP, security and scalability
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience as a technical leader
- Experience as a scrum product owner desirable
- Experience with Linux/Unix
- C++ skills desirable
- Experience with multi-platform software development
- Has initiative, and is able to complete complex tasks with minimal supervision
- Enjoys working with a myriad of game studio developers on a day-to-day basis
- Willingness to travel for extended visits to game studios is desireable
What Demonware Offers:
- An excellent salary, with annual performance reviews
- 25 days holidays
- Annual bonus program
- Annual pay review
- RRSP Matching
- Top-tier healthcare for you and your family
- Life insurance coverage
- Free Activision Games
- Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
- A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open source